Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Maine Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 ME Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Betsy Sweet (11) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Maine
- Janet Mills (10) Maine Democratic candidate for Maine Governor
- Mary Mayhew (15) Maine Republican candidate for governor of Maine
- Paul LePage (1) Maine Republican Governor
- Shawn Moody (17) Maine Republican candidate for governor of Maine
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Maine 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- CampusElect.org 2018 Maine Governor Guide (Mills & Moody), 11/1/2018
- The Detroit News, "Stabenow, James agree to two October debates," by Leonard N. Fleming, Aug. 28, 2018
- Stars and Stripes (U.S. Armed Forces periodical) , by Rose L. Thayer, August 21, 2018
- Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel, "King fights for clean environment," OpEd Letter, Aug 5, 2018
- Foster's Daily Democrat, " Shawn Moody: Maine at 'critical juncture'", by Deborah McDermott, Aug 3, 2018
- Press-Herald, "Where the candidates stand on wind power development," by Tux Turkel, July 2, 2018
- Portsmouth Herald, seacoastonline.com, "Maine governor candidate: Mary Mayhew, Republican," April 13, 2018
- Sun Journal, "Candidates back gun ownership at Colby College debate," by Colin Ellis, Feb. 27, 2018
- Bangor Daily News, "Candidates throw jabs but no knockout punches in debate," by Michael Shepherd, Feb. 1, 2018
- Ballotpedia Candidate Connection: Survey responses by Betsy Sweet, 2018
- WAGM-TV, "Mills joins 13 states rejecting 'deep and damaging EPA cuts'," December 21, 2017
- Press Herald, "Mills: We need to get the genie back in the pill bottle," October 15, 2017
- Press Herald, "Democrats agree on need to improve health care, economy," by Jason Pafundi, September 28, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report, "A.G. Not Commenting on Abortion Suit," September 20, 2017
- Bangor Daily News, "Poverty isn't eliminated by threatening the poor," by Lance Dutson, Sept. 18, 2017
- CNN.com, "LePage: Civil War was initially fought over land," by Nathan McDermott and Andrew Kaczynski, 8/22/2017
- Journal Tribune, "Mayhew hopes to 'build on what we've accomplished'," by Ryder Schumacher, Aug. 9, 20117
- The Lincoln County News, "Mayhew Campaign Makes Lincoln County Debut," by Abigail W. Adams, July 5, 2017
- Press Herald, "Shine a light on high drug prices and go after gougers," by Janet T. Mills, June 28, 2017
- Forbes Magazine, "Maine Shows How To Make Welfare Work," by Jared Meyer, June 1, 2017
- Bangor Daily News, "LePage proposes eliminating funding for Civil Rights Team," by Beth Brogan, May 27, 2017
- RedAlertPolitics.com, "Defeat DC Kings; Elect Libertarians," by Ryan Girdusky, April 30, 2017
- Press-Herald, "Commentary: DHHS fighting Maine's drug crisis," by Mary Mayhew, April 14, 2017
- News Center Maine, "Clergy, low income, immigrant groups protest DHHS budget," by Don Carrigan, Feb. 22, 2017
- Bangor Daily News, "How $13M in unlawful spending took shape in Mayhew's DHHS," by Matthew Stone, Feb. 7, 2017
- Press Herald, "Mills among 17 nationwide who condemn Trump's ban on refugees," by Dennis Hoey, January 29, 2017
- Maine Public, "Blue Ribbon Commission Charged With Violating Law," by Mal Leary, July 8, 2016
- Maine Public, "S&P Settlement Yields Maine More Than $21.5 Million," February 4, 2015
- Bangor Daily News, "LePage defies AG Mills' demand to release welfare study," by Mario Moretto, January 9, 2014
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Betsy Sweet: Protect a woman's right to choose.
Shawn Moody: Strongly pro-life: opposes any tax dollars for abortion.
Mary Mayhew: Ban abortions after 20 weeks, like most developed nations.
Janet Mills: No comment on lawsuit to expand abortion access.
Budget & Economy|
Mary Mayhew: Reduce taxes by deep budget cuts including family services.
Betsy Sweet: Equal pay for women; plus commission on racial justice.
Paul LePage: Confederate monuments are about a war for land.
Janet Mills: Decries proposal to eliminate Civil Rights Funding.
Shawn Moody: Address red tape; focus on recruiting businesses.
Shawn Moody: Run the state like I've run my business.
Mary Mayhew: Keeping government out of business creates good paying jobs.
Janet Mills: Won $21.5M settlement against S&P's mortgage practices.
Shawn Moody: Law enforcement needs all the right tools to catch criminals.
Mary Mayhew: imprisonment for life as a deterrent to crime.
Betsy Sweet: Expand substance abuse treatment.
Betsy Sweet: Legalize and promote industrial hemp.
Shawn Moody: Strengthen criminal code & stem tide of illegal trafficking.
Janet Mills: Investigate role of opioid manufacturers in drug abuse.
Mary Mayhew: Joint effort needed to provide effective drug treatment.
Betsy Sweet: Pay teachers better; cut back on standardized tests.
Shawn Moody: Parental and local control in education curriculum.
Mary Mayhew: Parents should have access to multiple education choices.
Janet Mills: Commission on Education Reform must follow open meetings law.
Energy & Oil|
Betsy Sweet: Invest in solar, wind, hydro, mass transit, & electric cars.
Shawn Moody: Door's open to renewable energy, but no subsidies.
Mary Mayhew: Wind energy needs transparent commission, not moratorium.
Janet Mills: Wean ourselves off fossil fuels.
Betsy Sweet: Reduce, re-use, recycle.
Shawn Moody: Voluntarily adopted eco-friendly practices at Moody's.
Mary Mayhew: Environmental stewardship that also respects businesses.
Janet Mills: Joins coalition to reject proposed cuts in funding to EPA.
Shawn Moody: Pro 2nd Amendment; wants armed officials in high schools.
Mary Mayhew: Pro gun ownership and armed guards wherever needed.
Betsy Sweet: Supports universal coverage including alternative therapies.
Shawn Moody: Wants health insurance open to competition amongst states.
Shawn Moody: Citizen referendum decided Medicaid expansion: make it work.
Mary Mayhew: Absolutely opposed to Medicaid expansion.
Janet Mills: Her office took on drug manufacturer Mylan on price gouging.
Shawn Moody: Stand behind veterans: offer school, jobs and services.
Mary Mayhew: Veterans should get all benefits earned, in a timely manner.
Betsy Sweet: Pay for transition costs of new Mainers.
Shawn Moody: Work with federal officials against illegal immigrants.
Mary Mayhew: Slash funds for new immigrants & asylum seekers.
Janet Mills: Condemns President's ban on refugees.
Betsy Sweet: Supports $15 minimum wage and strong unions.
Shawn Moody: Make it easier for job creators: create a service hotline.
Betsy Sweet: Level the playing field; more taxes for the top 20%.
Shawn Moody: Tight N'Up spending; reduce income tax; provide transparency.
Shawn Moody: You can't tax young people if we want to attract them here.
Mary Mayhew: Cut tax burden for employers.
Welfare & Poverty|
Shawn Moody: Lifetime cap on welfare; with strong fraud detection.
Mary Mayhew: Time limits on welfare benefits, to promote employment.
Mary Mayhew: Auditor: DHHS improperly managed federal welfare funds.
Janet Mills: Demands release of publically funded welfare study.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Betsy Sweet Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Maine
- Janet Mills Maine Democratic candidate for Maine Governor
- Mary Mayhew Maine Republican candidate for governor of Maine
- Paul LePage Maine Republican Governor
- Shawn Moody Maine Republican candidate for governor of Maine
The above quotations are from 2018 Maine Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)