Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2019
(Margaret Brennan interviewing candidates for 2019-20 races)
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2019 (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (11) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (1) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders (4) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (9) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Cory Booker (3) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Dick Durbin (1)
- Doug Jones (1) Democratic candidate for Alabama U.S. Senator Alabama
- Elizabeth Warren (1) Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Swalwell (1) California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- Ilhan Omar (2) Democrat U.S. Rep Minnesota- 5
- Jay Inslee (1) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- John Delaney (1) Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6
- John Hickenlooper (1) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Julian Castro (3) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (4) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kelly Armstrong (1) Republican U.S. Rep North Dakota- 0
- Ken Cuccinelli (1) Virginia Republican Challenger
- Kirsten Gillibrand (4) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Larry Kudlow (2) Connecticut Council of Economic Advisers
- Lindsey Graham (1) South Carolina S.C. Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Marianne Williamson (3) Democratic candidate for President
- Michael Bennet (2) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Bloomberg (2) New York Mayor of NYC
- Mike Pence (4) Indiana Republican Vice President
- Mike Pompeo (2) Kansas Secretary of State
- Pete Buttigieg (7) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Rick Scott (1) Florida Republican Governor
- Steve Bullock (3) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Tim Ryan (1) Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
A long-standing political tradition is the Sunday morning talk show,
beginning with "Meet the Press" in 1947.
Currently, five separate "talking head" programs appear on five different TV stations every Sunday morning.
OnTheIssues.org excerpts all five of the shows, listed below, with their respective interviewing pundits and each pundit's political affiliation:
- ABC This Week: (Martha Raddatz & George Stephanopoulos; liberal; from Bill Clinton's staff)
- CNN "State of the Union": (Jake Tapper and Dana Bash; moderate liberal)
- Fox News Sunday: (Chris Wallace and Bret Baier; conservative)
- Meet the Press: (Chuck Todd; moderate)
- CBS Face the Nation: (Margaret Brennan and John Dickerson; moderate)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Amy Klobuchar: Against criminalizing abortion & imprisoning doctors.
Amy Klobuchar: Repeal Hyde Amendment; fund Planned Parenthood.
Amy Klobuchar: New restrictive state laws are "just wrong".
Kirsten Gillibrand: Democratic candidates must support reproductive freedom.
Budget & Economy|
Beto O`Rourke: Farmers want markets, not subsidies.
Cory Booker: Don't give a damn about the politics: racism is racism.
Kamala Harris: We cannot be ignorant of history of race in this country.
Doug Jones: We should be encouraging voting, not making it harder.
Elizabeth Warren: Use anti-trust to break up anti-competitive businesses.
John Hickenlooper: Market must allow entry to new businesses.
Julian Castro: Top earners & corporations must pay fair share.
Marianne Williamson: Fund schools with federal mandate, not property taxes.
Families & Children|
Marianne Williamson: Federal mandate for social services for children.
Ilhan Omar: Supports boycott/divest/sanction movement against Israel.
Beto O`Rourke: Would talk to North Korea, but only if it gets results.
Beto O`Rourke: Diplomacy should yield results: none yet with North Korea!
Kamala Harris: We need to get back into Iran nuclear deal.
Kamala Harris: Iran nuclear deal was being complied with by all parties.
Mike Pence: No nukes for Iran; support Iranians but not government.
Mike Pence: We stand with the Iranian people against the Ayatollahs.
Mike Pompeo: No nuclear weapons for Iran; they must be a "normal nation".
Pete Buttigieg: US foreign policy should be based on American values.
Pete Buttigieg: We can lead the world or resent it; we can't do both.
Amy Klobuchar: China: we need credibility, would remove some tariffs.
Andrew Yang: Create a path forward on China that works for both sides.
Amy Klobuchar: China trade problems are real; use allies, not broad tariffs.
Amy Klobuchar: Can't just talk about trade war with China, get it done.
Larry Kudlow: Farmers are patriots, assisting during trade war with China.
Larry Kudlow: Patriotic farmers support Trump's trade war with China.
Steve Bullock: Tariffs hurt farmers; let's work to open up markets.
Steve Bullock: Trump has turned "America First" into "America Alone".
Michael Bennet: Chinese trade practices unfair, but tariffs not the answer.
Pete Buttigieg: Prosecution for obstruction shouldn't be president's call.
Steve Bullock: Elections should be decided by people, not corporations.
Michael Bennet: Congress must investigate Russian election tampering.
Mike Bloomberg: Gun laws effective but no one law will stop everything.
Amy Klobuchar: Provide immediate health care for undocumented immigrants.
Cory Booker: Public option is first step, negotiate lower drug prices.
Rick Scott: Enact law so drug prices in US aren't higher than Europe.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Provide a public option to get to universal coverage.
Bernie Sanders: Violent white nationalists should be treated as terrorists.
Pete Buttigieg: Must not allow foreign powers to interfere in elections.
Eric Swalwell: Russian attack on 2016 elections must be taken seriously.
Ilhan Omar: Seeking asylum is a right; policy should be humane and just.
Julian Castro: Always for secure border and apprehending criminals.
John Delaney: Treat those who cross our borders with measure of dignity.
Ken Cuccinelli: Detain and then deport one million undocumented immigrants.
Amy Klobuchar: Comprehensive immigration reform is an economic issue.
Beto O`Rourke: Keep asylum laws; let refugees apply from home countries.
Beto O`Rourke: End family separation; rewrite law from ground up.
Beto O`Rourke: Asylum seekers should be able to apply from home countries.
Mike Pence: Conditions at borders is fault of Democrats in Congress.
Mike Pence: Asked for humanitarian help, Congress continues to delay.
Beto O`Rourke: Those seeking asylum pose no threat.
Kirsten Gillibrand: For border security, but don't harm asylum seekers.
Cory Booker: Intervene in refugees' home countries; reform asylum process.
Jay Inslee: Illegal immigration not a national emergency.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Pathway to citizenship for DREAMers.
Julian Castro: Compassion for refugees, pathway for those here.
Tim Ryan: Public/private partnership to rebuild manufacturing base.
Principles & Values|
Dick Durbin: President is on trial for impeachment, but so is Senate.
Lindsey Graham: Impeachment: Don't need to hear a lot of witnesses.
Kelly Armstrong: After Ukraine call transcript, everything else is just noise.
Mike Bloomberg: Words matter; what President says is very important.
Bernie Sanders: Economic rights are human rights: that's FDR's "socialism".
Kamala Harris: Words matter; leaders cannot be ignorant of history of race.
Pete Buttigieg: Not up to the president to decide who should be prosecuted.
War & Peace|
Amy Klobuchar: We need to start bringing troops home from Afghanistan.
Marianne Williamson: We're spending $350B supporting genocidal war against Yemen.
Amy Klobuchar: Talking to enemies good if there's results; Trump has none.
Amy Klobuchar: Would not accept North Korea as nuclear power.
Bernie Sanders: No support of Saudis against Iran; it's a never-ending war.
Bernie Sanders: Iran not an emergency; no military action without Congress.
Mike Pompeo: Sanctions & withdrawal from deal will change Iran behavior.
Pete Buttigieg: Restore Iran deal; work with allies in Europe and the region.
Pete Buttigieg: Never should have left Iran deal, will do something new.
Beto O`Rourke: End war in Afghanistan; even work with Taliban.
Beto O`Rourke: Default should be to pursue peace, not war.
The above quotations are from CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2019
(Margaret Brennan interviewing candidates for 2019-20 races).