Thomas Kean Jr.
(Republican, district 7)
On the issues>>
Contact Thomas Kean Jr.
Take the Quiz!
Huffington Post Quiz
Use a Selector
2020 Senate Races|
Senate incumbents |
SenateMatch (matching quiz)
Senate Votes (analysis)
2017 House special elections
(The following members of the 115th Congress are resigning to take Cabinet positions):
(Candidate quotations organized by topic)|
Social Networking sites for OnTheIssues:
On The Issues
Promote Your Page Too
Our associated Yahoo discussion group
Our iPhone App
iPhone App with ads (free)
Our iPhone App
Same App without ads ($1.99)
(Organized by topic)
(Organized by candidate)
(Most recent quotations)
(Summary by topic)
(Debate and book excerpts)
(Presidential Selector and Political Affiliation 20-question quiz)
(Your views on the candidates and the issues)
(Other viewers' letters)
(Your feedback to us)
NJ newspaper: The Newark Star Ledger
New Jersey newspaper: The Bergen Record
New Jersey state legislative records
Teachers Under Attack: How NJ Governor Chris Christie's Personal Vendetta Against Teachers Will Des, by Mike Spina
American Conspiracies, by Gov. Jesse Ventura
NY newspaper: The New York Times
Political coverage by the Associated Press
New Jersey Archives
Survey of 2006 Senate campaign websites
Senate candidate questionnaire by the American Association of Retired Persons
N.J. 2006 Senate Debate
(click a picture above for excerpts or other books and debates by or about Thomas_Kean_Jr_)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Abortion
Click here for 4 full quotes on Abortion
OR background on Abortion.
- No litmus test for judicial nominees. (Sep 2006)
- Menendez distorts my pro-stem-cell stance. (Sep 2006)
- Opposed Bush’s veto of federal stem cell legislation. (Sep 2006)
- Supports embryonic stem cell research. (Dec 2005)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Civil Rights
Click here for 4 full quotes on Civil Rights
OR background on Civil Rights.
- Replace civil unions with same-sex marriage. (Feb 2012)
- Support merit-based initiatives, not affirmative action. (Sep 2006)
- Supports Amendment banning flag-burning, a sacred symbol. (Sep 2006)
- Supports 1-man-1-woman marriage, but no Amendment. (Sep 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Education
Click here for 4 full quotes on Education
OR background on Education.
- $6,000 voucher for elementary school; $9,000 for high school. (Feb 2011)
- Focus on reducing fraud and duplication in Pell Grants. (Sep 2006)
- Supports Educational Savings Accounts for college. (Sep 2006)
- Measure the progress of every child’s education. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Energy & Oil
Click here for 4 full quotes on Energy & Oil
OR background on Energy & Oil.
- Don't require disclosure of renewables on electric bills. (Mar 2016)
- Wean America off of fossil fuels altogether. (Oct 2006)
- Reservations about Kyoto Protocol, but supports it locally. (Sep 2006)
- Drives a hybrid car; opposes drilling ANWR. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Government Reform
Click here for 6 full quotes on Government Reform
OR background on Government Reform.
- No in-person early voting. (Dec 2014)
- Keep the Senate filibuster rules, to encourage negotiation. (Sep 2006)
- Disallow dual-office holding for politicians. (Sep 2006)
- Ban pay-to-play practices to reform Congressional lobbying. (Aug 2006)
- Menendez should give back dirty money. (May 2006)
- Campaign-finance reform is signature issue in legislature. (Dec 2005)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Gun Control
Click here for 3 full quotes on Gun Control
OR background on Gun Control.
- No criminalization of all 50-caliber weapons. (May 2013)
- Uphold our current firearm laws. (Sep 2006)
- Rated “F” by Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs. (Jan 2003)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Health Care
Click here for 6 full quotes on Health Care
OR background on Health Care.
- Ok for state to sue to prevent ObamaCare implementation. (Jun 2010)
- Include prescription drug coverage in Medicare. (Sep 2006)
- No additional taxes for medical coverage. (Sep 2006)
- Address Medicaid by cost containment & reducing fraud. (Sep 2006)
- Medicare needs bipartisan independent reforms. (Sep 2006)
- Supports individual Health Savings Accounts. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Homeland Security
Click here for 8 full quotes on Homeland Security
OR background on Homeland Security.
- CIA destroyed videotape interrogations of Qaeda operatives. (Mar 2010)
- CIA destroyed videotapes of al Qaeda operatives after 9/11. (Mar 2010)
- After Sept. 11th, do whatever it takes to protect America. (Oct 2006)
- Surveillance of personal data ok to win War on Terror. (Sep 2006)
- Respect Geneva Conv. but be flexible in prosecuting terror. (Sep 2006)
- Deploy missile defense system against North Korean threat. (Sep 2006)
- Grants for port security and counterterrorism. (May 2006)
- Co-sponsored bill establishing Office of Counter-Terrorism. (Jan 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Immigration
Click here for 3 full quotes on Immigration
OR background on Immigration.
- Illegal migration is a significant national security concern. (Oct 2006)
- Menendez’ soft voting record on immigration is dangerous. (Sep 2006)
- Stronger borders, no amnesty for illegals. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Principles & Values
Click here for 4 full quotes on Principles & Values
OR background on Principles & Values.
- Studying for doctorate in international relations. (Dec 2005)
- Family history for centuries as politicians. (Dec 2005)
- Ran for US Congress in 2000 and lost in primary. (Dec 2005)
- Appointed to both the state legislature and the state Senate. (Dec 2005)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Social Security
Click here for 4 full quotes on Social Security
OR background on Social Security.
- No privatization; but bipartisan cooperation needed. (Sep 2006)
- Opposes both privatization and raising seniors’ taxes. (Sep 2006)
- Against privatization; but says Menendez has supported it. (Sep 2006)
- Expand options for personal retirement planning. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Tax Reform
Click here for 3 full quotes on Tax Reform
OR background on Tax Reform.
- No increase in top tax rate to reduce property taxes. (Jun 2012)
- Repeal the unfair Death Tax & the Marriage Penalty Tax. (Sep 2006)
- Make permanent the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts. (May 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on War & Peace
Click here for 3 full quotes on War & Peace
OR background on War & Peace.
- We’ve made mistakes in Iraq, but must complete our objective. (Sep 2006)
- Can’t cut-and-run in Iraq; that’s a declaration of defeat. (Sep 2006)
- Supports war in Iraq but distances himself from Bush. (Dec 2005)
Thomas Kean Jr. is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative
(Click for details)
Click here for VoteMatch quiz.