Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Campaign promises compared to follow-up actions taken by the Trump Administration
(Click for external website)
Articles by/on the Trump Administration:
- N. Y. Times, "Trump Administration Sharply Curtails Fetal Tissue Medical Research," by Abby Goodnough, June 5, 2019
- CNN.com, "Trump now says parents must vaccinate children in face of measles outbreak," by Maegan Vazquez, 4/26/2019
- NBC News, "Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality," by Josh Lederman, Feb. 19, 2019
- Vox.com, "That time Donald Trump proposed a 14.5 percent wealth tax", by Matthew Yglesias, Jan 31, 2019
- The Guardian, "I led the National Park Service. Ryan Zinke leaves lasting damage," by Jonathan B Jarvis, 16 Dec 2018
- NPR.org, "Trump EPA Proposes Big Changes To Federal Water Protections," by Nathan Rott, December 11, 2018
- AOL.com, "Trump says climate change not a hoax, not sure of its source", 10/14/2018
- USA Today, "Democrats 'Medicare for All' plan will demolish promises to seniors," by Donald J. Trump, Oct. 10, 2018
- CBS News, "Trump touts "stop and frisk" in speech to police group," October 8, 2018
- Politico.com, "Trump's ethanol move delivers gift to corn country," by Eric Wolff, 10/08/2018
- Seattle Times, "Betsy DeVos is proposing changes to Title IX," by Asia Fields, September 29, 2018
- Washington Examiner, "Rick Perry: US faces a 'good dilemma' in producing oil," by John Siciliano, September 26, 2018
- USA Today, "Trump blasts Iran, touts patriotism in UN address," by John Fritze and Deirdre Shesgreen, Sept. 25, 2018
- The Charleston Post and Courier, "Intel chief Dan Coats warns of China's 'potent' cyber threat," by Paul Bowers, Sep 25, 2018
- Newsweek, "Cars Without Steering Wheels Are Coming," by Nicole Goodkind, 9/24/18
- Seattle Times, "Obama-era guidance on campus sexual assault gets scrapped," by Maria Danilova, September 22, 2017
- CNBC, "Kudlow suggests entitlement reform is coming," by Jacob Pramuk, 18 Sept 2018
- South China Morning Post, "Donald Trump hits China with new tariffs on US$200 billion", Sep 17, 2018
- Housing Wire, "Carson lays out his plans for affordable housing and regulatory reform," Jeremiah Jensen, September 14, 2018
- NBC News, "DeVos' decision could help arm school personnel," by Suzy Khimm, Sep.04.2018
- USA Today, �Pence quotes Bible in response to being called 'Christian supremacist',� by Maureen Groppe, Aug. 31, 2018
- Business Journal Daily, "McMahon Touts Trump Administration's Small Business Policies," by George Nelson, Aug 31, 2018
- Chicago Tribune, "Justice Department criticizes Harvard in affirmative action case," by Nick Anderson, 8/30/2018
- The New Yorker , "ISIS Makes a Comeback--as Trump Opts to Stay in Syria," by Robin Wright, August 30, 2018
- CNBC Squawk Box, "Everybody wants trade, not aid," by Berkeley Lovelace Jr., 29 Aug 2018
- HRC.org, "Politically Toxic Anti-LGBTQ Trump-Pence Agenda," by Ianthe Metzger, August 28, 2018
- NECN, "Conn. Senator Murphy Fights Federal Proposal to Arm School Teachers," Aug 24, 2018
- Washington Examiner, "Senators battle over ship," by Jamie McIntyre & Travis J. Tritten, August 22, 2018
- Fox News, "Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue says tariffs 'like weight loss'," by Samuel Chamberlain, August 15th 2018
- Huffington Post, "Melania's Immigration Attorney Rips Trump For Stoking Fear Of Migrant Families," by Mary Papenfuss, 08/11/2018
- WAAY-TV ABC-31, "Senate Dems want answers on rescinded affirmative action guidance," Aug. 7, 2018
- AOL News, "President Trump calls media 'the enemy of the people'," Jul 15th 2018
- National Parks Conservation Association, "How Zinke Is Undermining NPS Employees," by John Garder, Jul 12, 2018
- Vanity Fair, "How Mike Pompeo Won the Trump-Kim Summit," by Abigail, June 18, 2018
- ABC News, "Trump slams former justice's call to repeal Second Amendment," by Paolo Chavez, Mar 28, 2018
- The Metro, "Trump calls for death penalty for opioid traffickers," March 19, 2018
- The Atlantic magazine, "The New Secretary of State Is a North Korea Hawk," by Uri Friedman, Mar 14, 2018
- Federal News Radio, "Mnuchin: IRS funding needed to improve customer service," by Jory Heckman, March 6, 2018
- Heritage Foundation Commentary, "Did Trump Really Beat ISIS?," by Robin Simcox, 1/29/18
- Boston Globe, "Trump administration steps in on fishing limits," by David Abel, July 25, 2017
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bill Clinton: 1993: Rescind Mexico City Policy: fund abortion abroad.
Donald Trump: Reinstate Mexico City Policy: end abortion funding abroad.
Ronald Reagan: 1984 Mexico City Policy: no abortion funding abroad.
Larry Kudlow: Trump's support of late-term abortion ban is "gift from god".
Budget & Economy|
Donald Trump: 1999: one-time wealth tax on top 1% to reduce national debt.
Ben Carson: Release the economic engine; regulations fetter it down.
Donald Trump: Global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality.
Mike Pompeo: LGBTQ persons have every right that every other person has.
Mike Pence: OpEd: supports conversion therapy & anti-LGBTQ extremism.
Sam Clovis: Science on homosexuality is unsettled; behavior is a choice.
James Mattis: Opposed women serving in infantry; but will allow it.
James Mattis: Not about who soldiers go to bed with, but how they'll fight.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Denied confirmation as federal judge.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Called NAACP a "pinko" organization that hates whites.
Linda McMahon: Businesses optimistic because Trump is cutting regulations.
Wilbur Ross: CEO of International Coal Group, plus Steel & Textiles.
Linda McMahon: SBA should respond quickly in emergencies.
Donald Trump: US open for business: keep Carrier AC in Indiana.
Donald Trump: Stop-and-frisk works in high-crime cities like Chicago.
Rudy Giuliani: Stop-and-frisk policy made NYC safest big city.
Donald Trump: More penalties for violence against police.
Donald Trump: Crime and gangs and drugs have created American carnage.
Jeff Sessions: Increase in violent crime might be start of dangerous trend.
Donald Trump: Melania's "Be Best": focus on well-being & opioid abuse.
Donald Trump: Execute drug dealers to fight opioid epidemic.
Donald Trump: 2016: let states decide on pot; 2018: feds over state law.
Jeff Sessions: Enforce federal marijuana laws even when state laws allow it.
Jeff Sessions: We are in the throes of a heroin epidemic.
Betsy DeVos: No free money: don't forgive loans from bankrupt colleges.
Lamar Alexander: Don't forgive loans from bankrupt colleges, with exceptions.
Patty Murray: Forgive student loans if college goes bankrupt.
Donald Trump: Skeptical of use of affirmative action in college admissions.
Jeff Sessions: Harvard misuses affirmative action in college admissions.
Betsy DeVos: Schools need equal opportunities, not affirmative action.
Dianne Feinstein: Foster educational inclusion as America grows more diverse.
Jeff Sessions: Rescind Obama-era guidance on achieving diversity in schools.
Patty Murray: Foster educational inclusion as America grows more diverse.
Betsy DeVos: Obama campus sexual assault standard was ineffective mandate.
Betsy DeVos: Nothing is free; someone has to pay for "free tuition".
Betsy DeVos: Federally-funded vouchers for public or private schools.
Betsy DeVos: No longer believe in one-size-fits-all model of learning.
Ben Carson: Education has power to lift families out of destitution.
Betsy DeVos: 250,000 students in 33 voucher programs, and growing.
Betsy DeVos: Got 5,000 voucher students enrolled in Louisiana in one week.
Betsy DeVos: Charters fulfill a different choice & supplement vouchers.
Energy & Oil|
Donald Trump: Expand sales of corn ethanol year-round to 15%.
Scott Pruitt: Grant oil industry waivers to ignore gasohol mandate.
Donald Trump: Climate change isn't a hoax, but don't spend trillions on it.
Rick Perry: Energy dominance requires more exports of coal, oil & gas.
Pope Francis: Future of humanity is at stake with climate change.
Donald Trump: Represent Pittsburgh, not Paris: Coal over climate agreement.
Donald Trump: Revive the coal industry; end efforts to curb carbon.
Ryan Zinke: Climate is changing; Man is an influence but what can we do?
Betsy DeVos: Chair of Windquest Group to invest in clean energy.
Ryan Zinke: Raise fees & eliminate national park passes for kids.
Barack Obama: WOTUS 2015: expansive definition of protected waterways.
Donald Trump: WOTUS 2018: limited definition of protected waterways.
Ryan Zinke: OpEd: National Parks are under-staffed despite more visits.
Ryan Zinke: Shrink national monuments and expand offshore drilling.
Scott Pruitt: OpEd: at EPA, rolling back environmental protections.
Donald Trump: Overrule Fisheries Commission and allow more fish harvesting.
Wilbur Ross: Overrule Fisheries Commission and allow more fish harvesting.
Ryan Zinke: Absolutely against transfer or sale of public land to states.
Ryan Zinke: Smokey the Bear should be viewed as helpful, not as police.
Ben Carson: Deregulation includes land use & federal housing policy.
Families & Children|
Betsy DeVos: OpEd: Stricter rules for sexual harassment mean some ignored.
Scott Pruitt: Double headline - Already Done.
Sam Clovis: Same-sex marriage could lead to legalizing pedophilia.
Mick Mulvaney: $15,000 in unpaid nanny taxes from triplets in 2000.
Donald Trump: Denounce Iran's human rights record via focus on LGBT issues.
Pope Francis: Saddened by US restrictions on travel and trade with Cuba.
John Bolton: The two-state solution is dead; split up "Palestine".
Donald Trump: Unite civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism.
James Mattis: Putin is trying to break the North Atlantic alliance.
James Mattis: Supports NATO alliance principle of collective defense.
Mike Pompeo: Investigate Russian interference with U.S. election.
Rex Tillerson: Join with NATO allies alarmed at Russian resurgence.
Donald Trump: Supports construction of Israeli settlements in West Bank.
Ben Carson: Pinnacle nations before us contributed to their own demise.
Sonny Perdue: Farmers want trade, not aid; but $12B aid for now.
Sonny Perdue: Renegotiate trade deals with China, Mexico, and Canada.
Donald Trump: Country built on tariffs; they'll lead to new trade deals.
Donald Trump: Tariffs force EU, Mexico, & Canada to re-negotiate.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: China has 25% car tariff, but only 10% on parts.
Wilbur Ross: Criticized multinational trade deals: there is no free lunch.
Donald Trump: Protection will make America strong.
Donald Trump: Two simple rules: buy American, and hire American.
Steve Mnuchin: Protectionist instinct to label China a currency manipulator.
Wilbur Ross: Vocal critic of recent trade deals.
Donald Trump: Our news media is the enemy of the people.
Eric Holder: File lawsuits to enforce fair redistricting for 2020.
Ryan Zinke: Work with states and rebuild national parks.
Mike Pompeo: Russian hacking impact 2016 election & not the first time.
Donald Trump: Many things can go wrong when early voting goes on too long.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Voting Rights Act of 1965 is "intrusive legislation".
Jeff Sessions: The South has changed; no longer any need to monitor voting.
Betsy DeVos: Let states decide on gun training in schools.
Bobby Scott: Guns in schools recklessly endanger both students & teachers.
Betsy DeVos: Schools should have the option to arm teachers.
Donald Trump: Remove weapons from dangerous individuals, not all Americans.
John Paul Stevens: Weaken the NRA by repealing the Second Amendment.
Donald Trump: Arm public school employees to prevent school shootings.
Donald Trump: Opposes arming school teachers against school shootings.
Scott Pruitt: Double headline - Already Done.
Betsy DeVos: Let local schools decide about guns in school.
Donald Trump: End gun-free zones in schools & military bases.
Jeff Sessions: As US attorney, led nation in gun prosecutions every year.
Donald Trump: Strike down ObamaCare as an UNCONSTITUTIONAL disaster.
Donald Trump: Medicare for All is really Medicare for None.
Tom Price: Give every American access to affordable health coverage.
Tom Price: No right to Medicaid under state block grants.
Ben Carson: There's a strong connection between health and housing.
Ben Carson: Ban Ebola-infected people from entry; treat them elsewhere.
Donald Trump: Ban on transgender people serving openly in the US military.
Donald Trump: Space Force: sixth branch of the armed services.
Rand Paul: Oppose Trump nominees who supported Iraq War or torture.
Mick Mulvaney: Military parade would cost $10M-$30M.
Donald Trump: Ensure U.S. nuclear arsenal is at the top of the pack.
Mick Mulvaney: Raise the top line defense number.
James Mattis: Bring business reforms to the Department of Defense.
James Mattis: Don't revisit old issues; let women in combat roles.
Mike Pompeo: No torture, including coercive methods like waterboarding.
Donald Trump: F-35 program out-of-control; cut billions in military costs.
Jeff Sessions: Giving alleged terrorists criminal rights is "too soft".
ACLU: Birthright citizenship is protected by the 14th amendment.
Donald Trump: End birthright citizenship, despite 14th amendment.
Donald Trump: Melania's parents & Trump's grandparents did chain migration.
Pope Francis: Separating immigrant parents from children is immoral.
Pope Francis: We should receive asylum-seekers, not reject them.
Eric Holder: Trump Administration must change family separation policy.
Jeb Bush: End heartless policy of family separation at southern border.
Joe L. Kennedy: Trump Administration must change family separation policy.
Kirstjen Nielsen: FactCheck: Falsely claims no policy of family separation.
Kirstjen Nielsen: No apology for separating illegal immigrant parent from kids.
Ted Lieu: Trump Administration is lying about family separation policy.
Eric Holder: Feds can't force states to enforce federal immigration laws.
ACLU: Muslim ban cannot be reworked to be constitutional.
Donald Trump: Strip federal grant money to sanctuary cities.
Donald Trump: Hire 5,000 more Border Patrol agents on Mexican border.
Jeff Sessions: Skeptic of H1-B visa scheme that recruits skilled foreigners.
Jeff Sessions: Protect our communities with commitment to deport aliens.
Linda McMahon: Integrated strategy for workforce skills development.
Principles & Values|
Donald Trump: Open-border socialism brings suffering, misery and decay.
Mike Pence: When criticized about Jesus, I breath a prayer of praise.
Thomas Perez: Trump 2016 Russian collusion was unprecedented treachery.
Scott Pruitt: Double headline - Already Done.
Scott Pruitt: Double headline - Already Done.
Donald Trump: We are transferring power from Washington to the people.
James Mattis: Dislikes nickname Mad Dog Mattis.
Jeff Sessions: Total fidelity to the laws and the Constitution.
Betsy DeVos: Chaired Michigan GOP; husband was 2006 Governor nominee.
Donald Trump: Comparison of Warren wealth tax to Trump wealth tax.
Mike Quigley: Fully fund the IRS for staffing and cybersecurity.
Steve Mnuchin: Extra $400M for IRS budget, IT, services, & staff.
Steve Mnuchin: No net tax cut for the highest earners.
Daniel Coats: China as well as Russia use cyber-attacks against democracy.
Charles Schumer: Public-private partnerships allow "Trump tolls" for cronies.
Elaine Chao: Make self-driving cars a reality, and quickly.
Donald Trump: Let US companies work in China with proprietary technology.
Larry Kudlow: China tariffs to stop transfer of intellectual property.
Charles Schumer: $30B for NYC-NJ Gateway rail tunnel.
Chris Christie: $30B for NYC-NJ Gateway rail tunnel.
Donald Trump: No to $30B for NYC-NJ Gateway rail tunnel.
Elaine Chao: NY-NJ Tunnel means less funding for other projects.
Rodney Frelinghuysen: $30B for NYC-NJ Gateway rail tunnel.
Ted Budd: Don't make 48 other states pay $30B for NY-NJ Tunnel.
Donald Trump: Repeal internet privacy rules: let companies sell ad info.
Donald Trump: Assign high-priority infrastructure projects.
Donald Trump: New roads & airports & tunnels & railways all across America.
Mike Pompeo: Re-establish collection of all metadata; make it searchable.
Steve Mnuchin: Infrastructure bank to fund federal projects.
War & Peace|
James Mattis: Keep U.S. troops in Syria indefinitely to defeat ISIS.
Donald Trump: If Venezuela unravels, why can't we invade?
Donald Trump: Consider all options to restore Venezuela's democracy.
John Bolton: Advocated violent regime change in Tehran and Pyongyang.
Mike Pompeo: Cease US joint military exercises with South Korea.
Mike Pompeo: OpEd: Supported Iraq war then & supports Iran war now.
Mike Pompeo: Caution with history of deceit by North Korea.
Rex Tillerson: Create right conditions for negotiations with North Korea.
Donald Trump: 2016: secret plan to defeat ISIS; 2018: caliphate gone.
Heritage Foundation: Stop ISIS from presenting itself as a credible government.
James Mattis: Shift from war of attrition against ISIS to annihilation.
James Mattis: North Korea must be stopped, but by diplomatic means.
James Mattis: Iran is single most enduring threat to stability and peace.
Mike Pompeo: I opposed Iran deal; I'll gather clear-eyed info about it.
James Mattis: Supports the Iran nuclear agreement.
Rex Tillerson: Opposed US sanctions against Russia over Crimea annexation.
Rex Tillerson: Destroy the Islamic State; be wary of China's behavior.
Donald Trump: Disallow North Korea from developing nuclear delivery system.
James Mattis: Pentagon was aware that 2003 Iraq invasion was a mistake.
John Bolton: To stop Iran's bomb, bomb Iran.
Welfare & Poverty|
Jeff Merkley: Protect entitlements from GOP budget cuts.
Ben Carson: Housing integration is ok, but why must residents solve it?
Ben Carson: Ideal is every person in a home; but we don't have the funds.
Ben Carson: War on poverty perpetuates generational dependence.
The above quotations are from Campaign promises compared to follow-up actions taken by the Trump Administration.
Related books and archives:
- Trump Administration comparison of promises made with promises kept
- Impeachment speculation and investigations against Donald Trump
- Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Loyalty, by James Comey (2018)
- Time to Get Tough, by Donald Trump (2011)
- Never Give Up, by Donald Trump (2008)
- How to Get Rich, by Donald Trump (2004)
- The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump (2000)
- The Art of the Deal, by Donald Trump (1993)
- Think Big: Make It Happen in Business and Life, by Donald Trump and Bill Zanker
- Trump 101: The Way to Success, by Donald Trump and Meredith McIver
- Trump: The Art of the Comeback, by Donald Trump and Kate Bohner